Affiliate links are used on this blog. Read my full disclosure here.
If you’re like most families, you probably have a few indoor plants. House plants are actually good for your indoor air quality, but certain plants can be dangerous for children and pets! You may be surprised to find that you have some of them in your home or yard.
#1 – Oleander
This pretty pink beauty is so innocent looking, but it is extremely poisonous for your kids and pets! Ingesting a small amount can be serious or even fatal.
#2 – Lilies
Many varieties of lilies are toxic. In particular, the calla lily can cause fatal reactions in children. Lilies are usually harmful to cats, but more well tolerated by dogs.
#3 – Dumb Cane (Dieffenbachia)
This is moderately toxic. It can cause mouth and throat swelling and pain in children and animals.
#4 – Elephant Ear (Caladium)
These are highly toxic to humans and pets. Ingestion can result in airway obstruction and death.
#5 – Ivy
Certain types of ivies are moderately toxic. Symptoms are usually short lasting. Ivy can also cause skin irritation, so keep these out of reach.
Safety Tips for House Plants
You can still have house plants when you have kids or pets. You just need to take extra precautions! To start with, keep plants out of reach. Teach children that they should not touch the plants from a young age.
Also, use care when handling or trimming plants. Make sure your hands are washed and clipping are thrown in an inaccessible trash can.